Book Impression: Winning - Jack Welch





LENGTH: 384 pages
READING LEVEL: 7.5/10 [took me over 10 hours to finish, filled with facts written in story form, contained more than 3 big concepts with a lot of supporting information]

Jack Welch’s Winning is for winners. Ambitious, hard-working, passionate winners.

I thought I was a winner at first. Welch talks a lot about missions and values, and presents what he believes are the most important traits to apply in business: candor, differentiation, and voice & dignity. I’m nodding my head throughout, thinking “Yes, I can do this! I’M A WINNER!”

The book promptly ends my premature celebration, delving into the tough logistics of leadership AND management which I had never before seen. Feeling lost, I put the book down and decided it was too much for me. I didn’t need to be a winner anyway.

Of course, that’s quitting behavior, so after a break I pick it back up. I’m glad I did, as the second part of the book is geared toward things I can relate to, like finding the right job and achieving work/life balance (I won’t spoil it, but it’s not about what you think). There is a lot of actionable information in this portion, especially if you find yourself in one of the situations Welch describes, so pay attention. 

I’ve already been able to apply what I’ve learned from this book in casual conversation and in the workplace, even as an assistant. I don't feel quite like a winner yet, but I do feel like a Winner-In-Training. I expect to apply what I've learned in a much broader scope in the future, so I'm glad I had the opportunity to read this book and prepare in advance.

If you’re intrigued and would like to sample or purchase this book, you can click here: Winning

Have you read or are you planning to read Winning? If so, I'd love to hear from you in the comments!
 
Copyright © 2016. Demiera Harris.
Design by Herdiansyah Hamzah. & Distributed by Free Blogger Templates
Creative Commons License